What Wellness means to me
By Saima Majid
Being an Holistic Personal Trainer and Textile Designer, I am a huge advocate of living
well and beautifully.
Wellness for me means feeling healthy in body, mind and spirit. A
healthy mind and soul feels peaceful, grateful for the world, and allows life to ‘be’ with
all of its ups and downs. A healthy body is energetic, mobile and agile and allows me to
carry out all the physical tasks or adventures that I wish to pursue without feeling
Life is transient and can change at a moments notice. It is a work in progress and has
taken me a lot of self-discovery and mistakes along the way to find some sort of balance
and even still, I have not mastered it perfectly. However, by showing myself love and
compassion through some simple daily practises and behavioural habits, I feel that I can
get a better handle on times of adversity as well as be happy. Below are a list of my
practises that enable me to live a whole and beautiful life:
1) Exercise- not only releases the happy hormones endorphins but I feel lighter,
energised and youthful. I know that by regularly exercising I will lower my
chances of major illnesses and keep my bones, mind, heart, skin and muscles
2) Nutrition - Eating whole foods, which contain plenty of vitamins and minerals,
high protein, good fats, and complex carbohydrates give me energy and make
sure my body functions as it should.
3) Work - It is crucial that work gives me a sense of meaning and purpose. I like to
evaluate my work life regularly and if needs be, make the necessary changes to
make sure that it is aligned with who I am.
4) Relationships - Positive energy and vibrations have a great impact on each of us
so I like to be surrounded with good people and steer clear of negativity.
5) Style, grooming and pampering - as fickle as it sounds, looking good on the
outside can give us confidence so there is nothing wrong with making an effort
and treating ourselves.
6) Mind-set - My morning and evening routine are so important. I try to start the
day by journaling, followed by a meditation. In the evening I light scented
candles and an hour before sleeping, I put my phone on aeroplane mode and
read or listen to a podcast.
7) Sleep- 7 to 8 hours is a must!
8) Environment - This crosses over with work and relationships but I try to be
aware of my surroundings and whether they are having a positive or negative
impact on my mental health. My home environment is my sanctuary so it is a
must that it is beautifully designed with great use of colour, lots of candles and
9) Giving back - this can be anything from cooking for my friends, smiling at a
stranger or giving to charity.
I will be teaching a Bellydance and Zumba class at Wellfest East Midlands. To buy your
ticket, pls visit www.lykkeevents.co.uk
To find out more about my work in Fitness, Design and Mental Health, please visit
www.saimamajid.uk, Instagram: @saimamajidpt @saimamajiduk or email: